Maps of Cowanshannock Township and Rural Valley
Cowanshannock Township is located in the eastern part of Armstrong County, on the border of Armstrong and Indiana counties. Towns in Cowanshannock include: Atwood, Barnards, Blanco, Bryan, Hoosicks Mill, Hughesville, Lumstead, Meredith, NuMine, Rose Valley, Rural Valley, Sagamore, Smeltzer and Yatesboro.
- 1860 map of Rural Valley. Includes a list of local businessmen. External link to Ancestor Tracks.
- 1861 map of Cowanshannock Township. Shows locations of farms. Includes parts of Wayne, Plum Creek and other surrounding townships. External link to Ancestor Tracks.
- 1876 map of Cowanshannock Township. Shows locations of farms. External link to USGenWeb Archives.
- 1876 map of Rural Village and Atwood. Shows locations of homes and businesses. Lists businesses in the area and the type of goods they sold. External link to USGenWeb Archives.
- 1940 map of Rural Valley and Cowanshannock. 1940 Census enumeration district map. Shows locations of many schools and churches.
- 1978 topographic map of Cowanshannock Twp. This U.S. Geological Survey map shows towns, cemeteries, churches, mines, bodies of water and the railway. External link to USGenWeb Archives.
Cowanshannock's neighbors are:
- To the north: Wayne Township, Armstrong County. Belknap, Dayton, Echo, McCrea Furnace, Milton, Muff and Syderville.
- To the northeast: West Mahoning Township, Indiana County. Benton Furnace, Benton Mills, Goodville, Loop, North Point, Sellersville and Smicksburg.
- To the east: South Mahoning Township, Indiana County. Ambrose, Beyer, Denton, Elkin, Frantz's Mill, Glen Oak, McCormick Station, Ox Hill, Plumville, Rossmoyne, Sharpsburg, Smyrna, Wallopsburg and Wells Station.
- To the southeast: Washington Township, Indiana County. Advance, Creekside, Davis, Five Points and Willet.
- To the south: Plum Creek Township, Armstrong County. Elderton, Gastown and Whitesburg.
- To the southwest: Kittanning Township, Armstrong County. Blanket Hill, Heilman, McNees, Pyrra, Rockville and Shay.
- To the west: Valley Township, Armstrong County. Greendale, Oscar, Stone House and West Valley.
- To the northwest: Boggs Township, Armstrong County. Baum, Goheenville, Pine Furnace and Slabtown.